Environment Bay of Plenty
Environment Bay of Plenty is the regional council for the Bay of Plenty region.
Back in 1989, the Government took 25 organisations and turned them into the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, now called Environment Bay of Plenty. As caretakers of our land, air and water, Environment Bay of Plenty monitors the effects of human activities on our environment. We also promote the sustainable management of our natural and physical resources for present and future generations.
Our mission is to Work with our communities for a better environment
"Me mahi ngatahi tatau katoa, e ora rawa atu ai to tatou taiao"
Environment Bay of Plenty’s work guides and supports the sustainable development of the Bay of Plenty. We want to make sure our region grows and develops in a way that keeps its values safe for future generations.
A major focus of our work involves looking after the environment. We manage the effects of people’s use of freshwater, land, air and coastal water. However, we also have a broader responsibility with others for the economic, social and cultural well-being of the regional community.
Our other work includes:
- Managing the risks posed by our major rivers including the region’s major flood control schemes.
- Planning and prioritising the region’s land transport needs, including major roading improvements.
- Organising passenger transport services, including Tauranga’s Bay Hopper and Rotorua’s Cityride.
- Navigation and safety on our harbours and lakes.
- Supporting sustainable economic development.
- Strategic thinking for our region’s future.
Here are some issues addressed by BoP and would like your concerns or comments that you or your organisation might have.